OpenCL Disabled on Android

>> Saturday, August 10, 2013

Alas, Rahul Garg's assessment of OpenCL on Android is accurate. As of version 4.3, Android devices do not allow OpenCL kernels to be compiled. I've verified this on the Nexus 10, but I can't speak for other devices.

Google has tolerated OpenCL in the past, but as of version 4.3, they've put their foot down. For high-performance computing on Android devices, Renderscript Compute is now the only option.

ETA: Vincent Hindriksen has an excellent write-up on the topic here. I agree wholeheartedly.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  August 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM

do you know if there is any option for HPC on iOS devices?

Matt Scarpino August 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I'm not an iOS expert, but I'm pretty sure that OpenCL isn't available as a public framework. If Apple has other HPC options, I haven't heard of them.

crusaderky August 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Did anybody try OpenCL with Ubuntu Touch on the Nexus devices?

It would be very, very interesting to see the performance of the same algorithm, on the same device, implemented in OpenCL on Ubuntu Touch vs. Renderscript on Android.

Anonymous,  August 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Just a correction this is just on Google Devices and is not blocked on non-google devices.

Thri Keen March 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM

If what Anonymous says above is correct, this is the clincher in my decision to explore options other than a Google device for my next Android tablet. <vent>Dammit, Google, I *WANT* to use OpenCL!</vent>

Tilda Tice October 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I drop a leave a response each time I appreciate a article on a website or I have something to add to the conversation. Usually it is caused by the fire displayed in the article I read. And on this post %BLOG_TITLE%. I was moved enough to post a thought :-P I actually do have 2 questions for you if it's okay. Is it just me or do some of these responses look as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other online sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list the complete urls of all your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Fake Oakleys